Monday, October 01, 2007

Swizzle socks
I am trying to learn on my own, how to get my socks to match where it's self striping. I haven't done well with my first effort. I am still waiting to finish the second sock. The new skein is on order. So to entertain myself, I started another pair of socks with Swizzle. I think that these being my fourth pair of socks, I have come to the conclusion that I like the wool better for several reasons.

First, I love how they are cushy. Second, they seem to bounce back (the super wash wool brands) right after being cooked in the dryer. Sadly, I don't feel the same way about the cotton blends that I have used. I have done two with a cotton blend and now two with wool. I know there are some of you who are far more experienced at socks than I am but wool gets my vote. I don't wear socks in the summer because I go bare footed as often as I can. In the winter the only place I wear shoes is when I leave the house. I wear socks in the house the way others would wear slippers. I am just not a shoe person.

I have made great progress on my Swizzle socks, except for closing up the toes. I will get Sue to show me again how to close them up. There seems to be a disconnect between the written word and my brain. I think I am more visual when it comes to knitting. I need to see someone do it. I guess that old saying, "Monkey see, monkey do" comes into play here.


I tried my best to get the stripes to match but someplace down towards the toe, it got out of sink. I have no idea why but what the heck. I am still learning. The next pair of sock that I will be starting don't need to be matched so they will be a breeze...I hope.


I have not been working on the Scheherazade shawl, because it takes more concentration than I have at the moment. Hopefully I can work on it without hurting anyone in the house soon. I have given thought to changing from a lace yarn to a cotton yarn. Someone in our group did that and it's lovely in the cotton. You can actually see your errors and the pattern looks more pronounced. Right now all I really have the patience for is socks. I have already split the yarn into two balls so that I can do both socks at the same time. There are no other projects in the back of my head yet, but just give me time!

3 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

I love those socks! You did a good job matching the stripes. It might have gotten off when you picked up stitches for the heel, but I'm not sure because I usually do short-row heels.

If you don't wear socks in the summer, then definitely stick with wool. My favorite cotton blend is Online (as you know), but it cannot compare with the cushy feel of wool. It does bounce back in the washer and dryer though.

vlb5757 said...

WW-It didn't even occur to me about the stripes not matching because of the heal. I usually use reinforcement yarn but decided I would like to see how they wear without it. Maybe that is why they didn't turn out right.

I like on On-Line. It's easy to knit with. I will let you know how they feel as soon as I can get the second one done. I have already cast on another pair of sock this am to keep the sock momentum going. I want to throw away some old sock and figured this was the movitation I needed!

Anonymous said...

great job getting your socks to match! (can't tell that they don't by the toe)