Monday, January 21, 2008

One Skein Shy, Now Where Have I Heard That??

I was so proud of myself for finishing these more than a week ago.

These are for my MIL. She picked out the yarn and tried on a pair I made for myself and those fit her so we knew these would too. I hope you like them Joan. I just have to get them in an envelope and off in the mail to you.

When we passed through Nashville we stopped by The Haus of Yarn and I bought some more yarn and a book. I loved the model that they had in the shop and made this...well almost. I was one skein shy of a full shawl.

As you can see there is one corner that still have the circulars in them. As soon as my LYS orders that one last skein, I will get right on it and finish it. It's super easy and it's basically a beginner pattern. The pattern has a small, medium and a large shawl plus a lovely scarf. I wanted the shawl so the scarf was a bonus. I made it with this.
It's got tan, beige, brown, and gold. I thought it could be worn to an office setting or as an accent on a evening dress when the weather isn't quite warm enough. It needs a nice scarf pin.
The shawl is made with Dune from Trendsetter Yarns (this is the small sized shawl) . I have never knit with Mohair before. It fought back when I found two errors about 5 or 6 rows down, but it can be frogged with a little patience. I have very little patience for most things but after I frogged it back to the errors I re-knit it and then gave it a bit of a tug in each direction and it fell right into place. Just for good measure, I am going to wash and block it so see how it will hang. It says to dry clean, but I think a few swishes in the hand sink will be good enough. If it shrinks, it's then going to be called a scarf.

I have another pair of socks on the needles but haven't worked on them since Saturday. I will though. My feet are cold. We got a smattering of snow Saturday and Sunday, but here it is Monday morning and there is little or nothing left. I still have hope that we will get a few inches before our season is over by about March. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

5 comments:

Susan Luni said...

I've heard a lot about Dune. It has been one of the more popular, trendy, yarns for quite a while. I didn't even realize it had mohair in it. I'll bet the shawl is really nice.

vlb5757 said...

I have never knit with Mohair before. Not sure I want to ever again either. That stuff sheds worse than my dogs. I wore a black blouse when knitting it and had to "de-fuzz" when I was done. It was not pretty! The shawl looks good, but I think the next time I do this pattern it will have to be with something less fuzzy.

Tracy Batchelder said...

Your mother-in-law is going to love her socks. And the shawl is very nice. I wonder why it's dry clean only? Let us know how it does with a hand wash.

vlb5757 said...

I talked to my friend who is a Master Knitter and she said to do it in the sink because the dry cleaners might do more damage than cool water in a bathroom sink. I am nervous about it but it's a shawl and if it shrinks, it'll be a scarf. I'll post how it goes.

Anonymous said...

LOVELY socks! Fantastic job, and your MIL is one lucky lady!