Saturday, March 21, 2009

Not My Usual Obsession

I do love making socks. I feel such a sense of accomplishment when I finish weaving in the very last loose end. I almost could never wear them and still continue to make them. I could make them for strangers and still feel so good about them, but the strangers have to wear a size 7 1/2 shoe. So I am feeling pretty good about myself today! I finished another pair of socks.

Having a new puppy in the house may have slowed me down but I managed to get them done. I am still plugging away toward my goal of one pair of sock a month. So far I have managed to make three pairs. Pretty much all the socks I make now are going to have to be stored away because spring is here and things are warming up.

Speaking of warming up, I tried to steer myself away from my usual obsession of green socks with this latest pair. I have some violet and pink sweaters and thought that I might need some socks that would go with some of my winter sweaters.

The yarn is Opal and the colorway is Mississippi. Personally I thought the colorway should have been called Easter. The colors remind of Easter. They are springy and fresh. Hopefully when I wear them next winter they will help me hang on until spring comes again!

I did reinforce the heels with some grayish thread. It dulled the nice springy colors a bit but will give me some more spring in the heel and hopefully more wear.
I have found that reinforcing is great but I tend to wear out the socks on the ball of my foot. I am still trying to figure out how to reinforce the ball of foot so that my socks will last longer. I posed that question on a sock board and someone said, just make more socks. Sounds like a splendid idea to me!

I used different ideas from different patterns that I have knit over the last few years. The ribbing is just a 2X2 kp. The body is a 5X1 ribbing. The heel is taken from Cookie A's Monkey socks. I liked how simple it was and it works with an even number of stitches. The rest of the sock is just stockinette. I wanted a simple sock to knit because I knew that I had two other projects to work on and couldn't give my sock the time it needed for a more complicated pattern.

So another month done and another pair of sock to add to the pile. Whoohoo!

5 comments:

3bagsfull said...

WOW! Great Job in finishing the third pair. I will admit defeat now and just hope for the best. I still am attempting the homework for Sock Camp and fear I will not finish the second sock for this month. Oh well, a new month will begin and I will try again. They look gorgeous! You can friend any pair to me when you tire of making for yourself. I will truly appreciate the work that goes into them.

vlb5757 said...

The only reason that I finished is becasue they were such a "fluff" of a sock. They weren't anything really challenging but this next pair that I have cast on will be a bit more challenging for me. I ripped out a pair of socks and am starting them over so that I don't lose my row count again. You have so many irons in the fire, it's a wonder you know your own name! I hope things are going well with the house!

Tracy Batchelder said...

They turned out great! I think simple socks are best with self-patterning yarn. Wear and enjoy.

Leigh said...

Great colorway. I like your pair-a-month goal too. Maybe I'll try that someday.

Anonymous said...

great job on your socks! Good job too mixing it up and making your own pattern!