I got an idea the other day and since I am still on the stash down diet, I went right to the stash. This time I went to a drawer in my collection that I don't usually take things out of. It's my hand spun drawer. I am really good at putting finished skeins in there but not knitting anything with them. I know whatever I knit with my hand spun wool, can't be washed in the washing machine or dried in the dryer, so I never use it because most people don't want to hand wash anything these days. I did make one scarf and I made this last fall. Since that went so well I decided I needed to try it again. So I did...
I used the Felted Bowls pattern from One Skein by Leigh Redford. Her bowls that were featured in the book look WAY smaller than mine but yarn and needle size have a way of doing that. I used two strands of both colors to give the bowl a more bulky thickness. I wanted the bowl to be more sturdy. Size 15 Addi Turbos and US15 dpns were the needles that I used in both projects.
After I finished the first bowl I decided to try a different look and ended up with two completely different looks. Just for grins and giggles I tried them on and they make great saggy hats. I might have to try this again and actually make a hat next time I get a whim. So there are two knitted potential bowls. Don't they look like hats??
This bowl was supposed to be a stripped look. I didn't read the directions for the decrease rows and ended up not making a bowl exactly. At first I tried to use the back of a bowl but the bottom was too narrow. So I noticed the jar we store the dog treats in and tried to stretch it over that. Perfect! The top white band seemed a bit wishy washy so I solved that by folding it over on itself. As soon as booth projects are done I will cut any loose ends that didn't felt and give them nice close shave to make the look less fuzzy.
The second bowl, actually turned out looking a lot like the first bowl that I made back in the fall of last year for a swap. I used the same yarn as the first one and the same sized needles but this time I changed up how I used the yarn. I blended the two colors together for a major portion of the bowl. I tried to do two color knitting around the band of white and that didn't go as well as I had hoped. So I will keep trying until I get the results I want. Anyway it was fun and I used some yardage of my own stuff. I am hoping to do other things with my homespun so that I can make room for more spinning that needs to be done. I might do more spinning in the summer months than in the winter this year.
Here are Frick and Frack together being molded. In a few days I will take them off and then let the insides dry and see how they hold up.