Monday, April 15, 2013

Point me in the right direction

...again with the Pinterest!  In the knitting section of my pins there was the greatest idea!  I have no idea why I hadn't thought of this.  It's just stupid simple.  I am lucky to have a whole room that is dedicated to my business on Etsy.  It's also the temple for my knitting and any other hobby I go nuts over.  The only problem I have, is that I am running out of table space.  My work table is a hollow core door that used to be the top to my old desk.  It was eggplant purple like that room used to be.  Don't freak.  It's been repainted and made into a guest room and looks more conservative.  So I had to repaint the door and it's white, well a cream color and it's full of stuff.  When I saw this great idea on Pinterest I ran upstairs and found what I needed, begged the husband to make it happen and he did!  It only cost $4.  The only reason it even cost that much was because a new bit for the drill had to be purchased.  I had everything else. 

This is what I wanted to make.  I had a spare shelf that had been taken off the wall about to head to the yard sale room. When I saw how cool a project this was, and that it would cost little or no money I whipped out that shelf and got the project started.  I do want to add a side note to this.  I spent an hour searching backwards on Pinterest looking for a link or the original person who pinned the link to give them credit.  I went back 6 people and still never did find whose project it was.  They are genius and I think they deserve credit!!

So, here's how it got started.  K got out a tape measure and I zoned out and all I heard was, blah, blah, blah, and then I can drill it.  Truly I saw his lips moving and heard nothing!  I did hear him say to bring him all the straight needles  I had a lot.  I didn't realize I had so many in the same sizes.  I don't ever use straights anymore since discovering circulars but I will not throw them out. 

After matching up all the needles, K marked on the shelf how many pairs of what sizes I had.  He went into the garage and found a drill bit for every size of needles I had except for one (don't ask me which ones because I totally zoned out again).  So as I said above, we did have to spend $4 for a larger sized bit.  Here it is all done and hung up.  I am so excited about this project.
 

 
Here is the top view of the shelf.  You won't be able to set anything on top of it because needles have round heads and head that stick up.  I could set something non-breakable up there but I am not going to push my luck.
This pic is of the afghan hooks.  They don't come in pairs but I did have more than one in the same size, long hooks and shorter hooks.

This is better picture of how they look straight on.  As you can see to the right side of the shelf; I have more room for more needles but all mine are up there.  If I ever want to add something else, I can.  I thought about adding cup hooks and then hanging things knitting related from the hooks.  The only problem with that is Max the Mainecoon might think they are toys.   I am still thinking about how I can organize that end of the empty shelf. 
 
So there is a Pinterest idea that actually came to life for me.  I do love ideas on there that I can incorporate in my life without too much money or fuss.  Maybe all the hours I spend on Pinterest really is worth it?

2 comments:

Paula said...

WOW~ that is really cool! I've found some neat sewing room/organizing ideas on there, too.
Were our lives really this empty without Pinterest? *hahaha*

vlb5757 said...

I know I would have more money if it wasn't for Pinterest! lol! I just love all the ideas I have seen. I have tried more things that I have been happy with.