Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Swaying in the wind

Ever since I was a kid I have loved mobiles.  That is why I only own three; two of which are in the house.  I know my obsessive personality would have them hanging everywhere.  I have seen houses where the whole yard was covered in them.  For me it's like doing a presentation on a client's plate; less is more.  

I made this mobile with basic directions from this site.  I already made the charms you hang on purses and key chains.  Maybe a mobile would be possible?  I wanted to combine all artsy things that I love into one item.  So this one combines three.  The first is a mobile, second is jewelry making and the third is Zentangling.   

Here's how I did it.  I took a heart rubber stamp I already had on hand and stamped it a billion times on a piece of card stock that I had randomly painted.  I tried to create a different tangle in each heart but after a while I found this to be more work than what I wanted to do.  So there are duplicates of many of them.  I assembled them like the charms.  I cut them out and then punched holes at the top and the bottom of each heart. 

I didn't know how this was going to turn out so I didn't want to make the foundation circle too large.  I used a large gauge wire to make the foundation circle and then wrapped it with smaller wire.  I went back and took seed beads and wrapped them on the foundation circle.  The reason I use the seed beads is to keep the hanging items from slipping around and causing the mobile to list from one side to the other.  

Jump rings were used as well as some wire links and everything was assembled.  I wanted to make sure the hearts had enough weight so they would hang well.  They are extremely light.  So I added one bead at the bottom of each heart.  It's a time consuming project but worth it in the end.  I would like to perfect this idea and then sell them in my Etsy shop.  

Here is the whole mobile hanging.  I have some adjustments to make on the top but that shouldn't take very long to do.
Here is a closer picture so you can see the Tangles on the hearts.
You can see the backs of some of the hearts in this picture.  
If you have any ideas on how I can improve this, give me a shout in the comment section.  I have a ton more hearts that are ready and waiting to be turned into a mobile.

No comments: