Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Bookcase Material
I am a new knitter although I don’t know how long I can keep using that term. How long are you new before you are not anymore? 18 months? In the span of a knitter’s life, 18 months seems pretty new to me. Maybe when I hit the two year mark or finish my Mock Cable Sweater, I will consider myself not “new” anymore.

Being “new” still I don’t have much knitting reading material. Since I am chef and have a rather large collection of cookbooks, I think that I should show the same attention and enthusiasm for collection knitting and spinning books.

So I have started my endeavor to fill up a book shelf that doesn’t exist…yet. I have a small cubby hole place in one corner in the living room that has a few books, but it will soon be too small and I will have to come up with a more suitable place for my books. I hate the thought of cleaning out what used to be the X-stitch closet, but I am thinking it’s going to come to that.

I have already gotten rid of most of my craft items but the X-stitch is the last to go. I am hesitate to toss any of it away, for fear I might decide to take it up again. Oh poop, who am I kidding. I will never pick it up again, because I just flat have lost interest. I haven’t done any X-stitch in years so I really have to get a grip and let it all go, but go where? Do I sell it in a yard sale? Donate it to some Thrift Store? How about another X-stitcher who has a hording problem? I keep looking in the closet thinking that I would have more room for my roving and yarn if I would just get rid of the other stuff. I think I getting closer to tossing in and then putting a sign on it saying, "Free to the home of a faithful X-stitcher”. Wonder how fast it would disappear? Anyway, I digress.

I bought two more knitting books and have just been on-line ordering another this very morning. I saw the one I just ordered at a Knit-In and saw some really cute things to knit that all looked pretty simple. So I did the deed. Hopefully in a few weeks my new space-taker-upper will be here. Here are the two that I have acquired so far. One was recommend when someone saw a shawl I was making. Yes, it’s still in progress. Okay, okay, it’s still on the needles because I have just gone off the deep end of making myself socks. The shawl has two purposes to serve. One, is to use up all my old acrylic yarn. The second is to donate it to an elderly female vet at the local Veteran’s Home. So I won’t waste any yarn and when my hands are tired of holding #1 dpns, I can still knit something and feel like I am making some progress on something that really needs to be finished. Some progress is better than none. The second book was recommended by someone at The Knitting Corner on a chance meeting. I have not done any projects out of either but sooner or later I will. I sure hope they don’t end up out in front of the house with one of those signs…



9 comments:

Susan Luni said...

I'm a 'new' knitter, too. I, too, have been assessing my books, and my stash. I have about 40 knitting books now, (if I count the two crochet books). I have about a dozen more I want on my Amazon wish list. I love looking through these books, but I worry about buying so many, then losing interest in knitting.
Hey, it could happen, look at you and cross-stitch.

Tracy Batchelder said...

Usually I won't buy a book unless there are more than two patterns in it I like or if I can get it at a good discount. I've gotten some good use out of the books I have.

vlb5757 said...

Knotingale-I think it's funny that you say you are "new" knitter. Your things look much better than that! I have been X-stitching for over 30 years. If you knit that long, all of those books will be a wonderful investment in your hobby. Besides, we all know it's cheaper than therapy.

WW-I do the same thing. I look at the book at the local bookstore and then find a place where I can buy it discounted. I look through the book and really think about whether or not I will ever use it. I have learned not to do as much impluse buying since I am working to get out of debt and not further in. I quit going to WalMart. Too dangerous. I won't go to Michaels without hubby, a list and a coupon.

Laura said...

Have you thought about listing your cross-stitch items on the DeStash blog? I've seen "other than knitting" stuff on there before. Beads, for example. I know there are a lot of knitters with cross-interest in things. I do a lot of embroidery still - not counted cross stitch, but really, that's all stuff that you could still use some time! Are you SURE you want to get rid of it? If you're not sure that it's appropriate for DeStash, email Susan and ask about it!

I NEVER can have too many pattern books. I really do not have an abundance of knitting pattern books but even the old ones sometimes provide design or color inspiration when I'm looking for ideas. :)

vlb5757 said...

Laura, I have never seen that blog or even knew it exsisted. I will check it out right after I typing this. I really hate to just sit the stuff on the curb but on the other hand I feel the need to move on and declutter my life.

Thanks for the blog tip and I do have BEADS in that closet too....just mentioning it in case...well you know. lol.

maureen said...

Oooooh. I am going to make you soooo very envious. At this past weekend's Knittapalooza, right here in VB, I had 3 classes, 2 dinners, and 1 night lecture with the author of those 2 books you have photographed....Yep, Sally Melville herself. She is delightful, and her knitwear looks even better in person than in the book. I'll be posting photos in a day or so. I didn't take too many; I wanted to act like a fan, not a true fanatic.

vlb5757 said...

I probably should have gone but working and money are always an issue when I want to spend more than I make. So I owe, I owe, and it's off to work I had to go. I am sure that you had a great time!

shepherdchik said...

People always say that you are only as old as you feel. Its probably the same with knitting, you're only a 'new' knitter if you feel 'new'. From the looks of the socks you made, I wouldn't say 'new' anymore!

Too bad you can't find a new cross-stitcher with a closet full of old knitting stuff and just make a swap!

vlb5757 said...

I am nearly 50 and some days I feel as such. Then there are those days that I feel like 30. I would like more of those days for sure!

Wouldn't that be great to find someone who I am the perfect crafting match for? A girl can dream! lol!