Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What to do?

I am beside myself about what to do with a pair of socks. I have no love for the yarn I used. I confess that I got caught up in all the excitement about the new product in 2007. I was a fairly new knitter when I bought this yarn. I don't think there were many of us at that time who knew too much about this yarn so we all jumped at the chance to try something new and trendy.

I just knew since this new product was a sock yarn, that I had to knit socks. I knit a very basic ribbed sock and wrote about them in this post. Then again in this post later. Now here I sit with some pretty pitiful socks that I used to love ready to toss them into the trash. This is what they look like now.

This hole is on the other foot that I didn't darn the first time in 2009.

Now there is a hole at the base of where I turned the heel. The heel was reinforced and the hole is right after the heel.

I have had the socks sitting here on my computer table for over a month just looking at them. Should I darn them? Should I unravel them and use the yarn for another project? Should I just throw them away. I have darned other socks but they have not developed another hole since. I have never unraveled a pair of socks to use for something else after having worn them for over three years. So having said all of that, you know I have NEVER thrown away a pair of socks. If this was any other yarn, I think I would unravel it and give it so someone who wanted the scraps, but I think this stuff is worthless as actual sock yarn. It has not been four years since I made these. November of this year be four years. So I am going to toss them. I am sad to throw away socks but I won't miss these. They have not worn well for me so they are going. I have another skein of this yarn but have decided to donate it to my Yarn For Supper group's grab bag. Maybe someone else will have better luck with them.

5 comments:

Cheryl in AZ said...

Unravel at least the cuffs and use it for sock blankie. Just cut the feet off and start unraveling up the cuff. I will gladly take used, washed, and worn sock yarn - can ya tell I am not proud... or is it that I am very thrifty and can't stand to see yarn go to waste. :)

Paula said...

Those are too beautiful to throw away, V... you will laugh when I say this, but have ever though about using a patch? Like a denim iron-on and then securing it with thread or yarn? I don't even know if that would work or not, but if you just wear them around the house, you could put a patch on both of them in the same place and use them for "house socks".

I dunno- I'm always coming up with crazy ways to keep from throwing anything out. *hehe*

Valerie said...

You could always do what Wendy did here: http://fiberholics.com/2011/02/19/reuse-recycle/

I have a skein of that in my stash and have seen others' socks disintegrate like yours. So that skein is relegated to the weaving pile. Will probably become part of a woven scarf.

Sharon said...

I vote for mend. Even if it's not perfect, who's going to know. That part is in your shoe.

erinkristi said...

Yep, Cheryl and I will split the spoils for our respective sock blankies.